The Brookings Human Rights Commission is now accepting nominations for the Youth Award and the Youth Ally Award.
The Youth Award is presented by the Commission to the individual or group of local youth that promote and/or contribute to Human Rights in the Brookings area and abroad. Activities the Commission is aware of that would be worthy of a Youth Award include, but are not limited to:
- Collecting money for a human rights related organization/cause
- Organizing a human rights related activity
- Collecting food/clothing/personal hygiene items for local or national organizations
Since the Human Rights Commission hopes to recognize the creativity and uniqueness of our youth, we ask students not be nominated for participation in class activities or pre-organized events. However, any additional activity that comes as a result of a class activity or pre-organized event would be a welcome nomination. To keep our awards timely, we also ask nominations be limited to events that have occurred since June 2019. If you are nominating youth for participation in connection with a service agency, a letter on agency letterhead, dated and signed by the director, must accompany the nomination form.
YOUTH ALLY AWARD
The Brookings Human Rights Commission Youth Ally Award recognizes an adult who has inspired local youth to become involved in human rights activities and initiatives, either locally or abroad. Some examples would be serving as a mentor or providing financial support to a youth human rights project. The Youth Ally Award is an award where someone in the community nominates an adult for special recognition.
INFO FOR BOTH AWARDS
This is a great opportunity to showcase our youth along with their allies, and we do not want to see nominees who we are unable to be recognized due to no fault of their own. In reviewing the nomination form, please note two important things:
- Parent and/or guardian contact information is required for all Youth Awards. It is necessary for us to send notice to the youth and their parent/guardian. Nominations that do not supply this information will be considered incomplete and sent back to the nominator as such.
- Late applications will not be accepted. Nominations received after the deadline will be considered for the 2021 Youth Awards.
- Nominations must be received by 5 pm on Tuesday, June 30.
All nominations will be considered and reviewed by the Brookings Human Rights Commission. When the final selection for the 2020 Youth Award and Youth Ally Award recipients have been made, the Commission will notify the recipients and the public. Due to COVID-19, each honoree will be recognized at a to be determined time.
To obtain a nomination application, please go to www.cityofbrookings.org or contact the Brookings Human Resources Office at:
Brookings City & County Government Center
520 Third Street, Suite 230
Brookings, SD 57006
The nomination deadline has been extended to Friday, July 31st, 2020.