Building permits are issued for all residential and commercial projects within city limits and on nonagricultural land in the joint jurisdictional area.
The building permit must be issued before footings are poured. Failure to get a permit on time will result in an investigation fee of twice the permit fee.
- All work shall be in conformance with the requirements of the International Building Code.
- Driveways, approaches, public sidewalks, sidewalk ramps and curb cuts are controlled by the City engineer's office. A permit is required before any new installations or any changes are made.
- For building additions, decks and garages, your title insurance (mortgage) drawing is very helpful in locating your project on the lot.
- Zoning requirements must be met, including the proper use of the property, adequate yard size, setbacks, parking requirements, etc. Any deviation from these requirements needs the approval of the Board of Adjustment.
For building permit information, please contact the Engineering Department at (605) 692-6629.
Inspections are required for residential and commercial projects.
- All electrical work must be done in conformance with the National Electric Code. It may be installed by the owner in an owner-occupied structure or by an electrician licensed by the state and the City. All work shall be inspected by a state electrical inspector. Call the South Dakota Electrical Commission at (800) 233-7765 for a permit.
- All plumbing must be done in conformance with the Uniform Plumbing Code. It may be installed by the owner in an owner occupied structure or by a plumber licensed by the state and the City. All work shall be inspected by a state plumbing inspector. Call the South Dakota Plumbing Commission at (605) 773-3429 for your permit.